Friday, October 25, 2013

The Illusion of the Bolder and the Fence

The National Debt is like a bolder we push down the road, when we grow old and tired we hand off the job to our kids. When they turn around and question the reason why we do this, the parents become the slave drivers, as their parents had been to them. They become crass, and feed the lines they were fed:
“This is the way it has to be.”
 “Freedom isn't free.”
“We have to fall in line to make the machine work.”
Sometimes we all need to be reminded of our rebellious spirit; left back on the playground. Conformity can be more dangerous the anarchy. It can indoctrinate us into all manner of things. Simply because we do not pay attention. Going along with the daily grind, in a state of miserable slumber unaware of the crumbling world around us. Conformity is slavery’s best friend. It willfully leads its victims into seemingly inescapable scenarios, but the reality is there is always an escape if you choose not to participate.

I am reminded of a day I went out to water my garden. On approach to the little garden I had planted in my back yard I noticed a squirrel standing on the ground staring up at me. He panicked, as expected, and took off right into a loose roll of chicken wire fencing. I had left the loose roll of chicken wire fencing standing next to the garden, after removing my failed cucumber plants it was meant to support, as I figured out what I could use it for next. The squirrel darted back and forth in the fencing, to my astonishment, it seemed he did not know he could go back the way he came, or climb up it. It was if his fear had locked him into an endless back and forth cycle. I slowly approached the fencing, and began to unravel it. As I did, the squirrel in his panic darted up the fence towards my hand, which I jerked back, since I did not know if he intended to bite me. He then climbed back down the fence and continued running back and forth. It seemed that his fear again had overruled his critical thinking. There he was at the top of the fence, and he could have escaped, but he chose to head back to the false sense of safety he found with the fence. I finally was able to get, for the most part, the fence unrolled; just as I did the squirrel looked up seeing the top of the fence he began to climb up the middle. He then, jumped off and headed up the nearest tree; his driver for freedom overriding his sense of fear. The moral of this story, is to not be trapped by the illusions of boundaries that do not exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment